Purpose of the Fund
Following in the Lutheran tradition to encourage educational growth in our immediate community and in our world, the Scholarship Fund is established to recognize and support active members of our congregations who wish to strengthen both scholastic ability and qualities of character through post-high school education.
In order to be eligible to receive a scholarship, a person must:
- Be an active member of a Grace campus
- Be enrolled in an accredited degree-granting institution of higher education
One or more scholarships may be awarded to a member, but the sum of the awards shall not exceed $1,000. This limitation rule does not apply to members in seminary studying for the Lutheran ministry. In extraordinary cases, limitations and eligibility criteria may be waived by the church council.
The scholarship(s) shall be awarded on a day and time established by the Scholarship Team.
- Deadline for applications will be the last Sunday of June.
- Recipients will be notified by mail and scholarships will be awarded in August.
Number and Amount of Scholarships to be Awarded Annually
The number of scholarships awarded annually shall not exceed five (5). The amount of the awards will be determined by the Scholarship Team and will be based on the financial position of the Scholarship Fund.
If there are more than five (5) eligible applicants in any year, the following criteria will be applied to determine who will receive scholarships:
- First priority will be given to a member in seminary studying for the Lutheran ministry
- Second priority will be given to an eligible member who applied in a previous year and did not receive an award
- Any remaining awards will be based on level of education with preference given to undergraduates, church and community involvement, and scholastic achievement.
The Scholarship Team
In addition to the pastor as chair of the Scholarship Team, the Team shall consist of one (1) member of each campus who are appointed by their respective church council. The Team shall convene in July to review applications and determine awards.